My not so quick Crohns story.

Hey Everyone. I'm Rodney. I'm 23. I thought I might just write my whole story to share. Like said in the previous post, I was diagnosed with Crohns around the Middle of Sept 2007. I had been experiencing abdominal pain and pain when having bowel movements for around five months. At first the pain was barely noticeable, and I though the blood I was seeing was from me wiping too hard. I just kept telling myself forget it about, the pain will go away. It didn't. The pain when going to the restroom just kept getting worse and started to affect my job and life.

I finally went to the doctor at the end of July 07, and was told after an x-ray, and urine sample that I should have a colonoscopy. The doctor also prescribed belladonna for the cramps I was having. By now, I was in a huge amount of pain. I didn't want to eat because I didn't want to have to use the bathroom. I had dropped around 15 pounds because of this.

Around the middle of August, I was finally able to get in with the doctor to have the colonoscopy. Even though I was put under, I remember waking up and screaming to the doctor, "I can feel that, it hurts!" After the the procedure, the doctor told me he took a biopsy and that from what he could see it was not Crohns. I was freaked out because I had no clue what was going on.

After a week, the doctor's office called and let me know that they did not get the results, but that I should setup an appointment with a colorectal surgeon.

The day I went to the surgeon was very scary. My girlfriend and I go into the exam room and on the side waiting were gloves, lube and some sort of spreader tool! We were both like wtf are they going to do. I thought we were coming here to talk about options. When that doctor came we did talk for around three minutes, before had me lay on my side. He told me to grab my knee and pull them to my chest. Him examining me was the most painful thing I had ever felt. This actually made me tear up. After he was done, he told me that there was infection as well an abscess, and fissure. He was like, we can do surgery in two days! This caught me off guard, because I didn't expect this process to go so fast.

Two days later on Aug 31, I had the surgery to remove the infection, abscess, and fissure. They made incisions to let them drain, as well as took some samples from my colon. He told me that from what he could see, it was crohns and that I start treatment.

After going back to the other doctor to see about treatment, I was given Flagyl to help with any infection, but was told that we should wait before we start any treatment. I was still in a ton of pain, and had run out of the pain pills given to me after the surgery.

After a few more post op check ups, I went back to the treatment doctor to let him know that I am still hurting and having diarrhea. He scheduled a flex sig and I had done last Thursday. After that procedure, he prescribed me prednisone and is waiting for enzyme test to come back before seeing about 6MP.

That's my story. After reading the other stories, I feel what i'm going through is mild. I really don't suffer from the cramps anymore. I have diarrhea only around once every two days and have dropped around 40 pounds. I contribute a lot of the weight lost completely changing my diet. I also don't know if the pain I feel when having a bowel movement is from the surgical incisions or if there is pain when crohns patients going to bathroom. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Week - Less Pain, Less Prednisone, Add in Dicyclomine, and Maybe 6MP

Diet and Crohn's Disease - Gluten Free

Happy Tuesday Crohnies!